Friday, February 13, 2009

Topic for discussion........

Here is a good one for us to weigh in on..................

I have arguments for both sides of this so there is no right or wrong I am just interested on how my fellow members would handle this situation.
Lets says one of us has a show at the New Visions gallery in Marshfield (at the hospital).  The lets says one of the employees at the hospital calls and says he wants to use 3 of the images from the show in the calendar they publish. 70,000 calendars.  Thats alot of calendars.  So the thing is they want to use the pictures for a grand total of nothing.  Just "exposure".  70,000 exposures.
times 3 pictures.  
So the original thought was "Sure, people will look at those pictures and get to my web site and then look around and either buy one of the images from the show or another one from the site"  But then it turns out they will not ever ever ever print that artists web site on the page.  Only name, title of the image, and artists city.  No web sites!
So that person thinks "where is the Exposure in that?"
To license the images for those calendars would cost someone $2366 using industry standard pricing and he should just GIVE it to them for free?  Is the printer printing them for free? Is he assembling these calendars for free?  Would one of their fellow members at the WVAG GIVE them 3 pieces to use without even allowing a link or some sort of way for a viewer to look further or a way to actually BUY something/  OK its me.  Lets get that out.  Its me. I explained that I am traveling the earth getting these images and I am the ne climbing the Rockies in my rental car in the winter and they not only want to use the images for free they won't even print my web site address on the page?
On the other hand it's 70,000 copies of my pictures out there hanging all over the place?

What say you, dear members?  Yay or nay?  
Move your mouse down about 1/2 an inch and click on comments and let us know what you think!  
Thanks
   

3 comments:

Wisconsin Visual Artists Guild said...

Rick .... Lucky you! You get to travel the world AND have THREE of your images in the calendar! I was in the calendar last year with my "Balboa Water Lily" which I had to travel to San Diego to capture and was elated!!

So what if your website is not listed. If people are interested in your work they can google your name. I just did; "Richard Eyre Photographer" and you came right up.

I look at it this way ... FREE ...... 70,000 + people will see your work! That's a BIG BONUS as far as I am concerned!

Embrace the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Should you really give your hard work away to a multimillion dollar corporation? Its not like they couldn't afford to give you at least what you ask for a published website.

Anonymous said...

I agree with "embrace the opportunity".

I would look at it as an honor...
and the exposure is wonderful...

It's a shame they don't pay, but you can't change that, so look at the positives!