Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mattes....... I need your opinions

Heres the deal.  I submit some prints to the Exhibit X show in Stevens Point.  3 really nice ones.  I get a call that they don't want any of them and come pick them up.  What's up with that? I ask. So I go talk to the woman there, (another guild member) and she says that they are really sticking to the white matt thing.  Plus she said that is the "standard" ( I hate when people use that word). Actually, the submission guidelines said specifically white mattes were strongly recommended.   I read the guidelines I just like to match mattes to the prints.
My question is this,  as skilled artists, do you think I should just bag the "mat matches the print idea" and go with the plain white matt for everything because it seems to be more universally acceptable and indeed may be more saleable because it matches every wall in the house?  Or should I stick with the theory that certain prints look better matted with certain colors?
Please click below where it says comments and let me know what you think.  I just want to do what's best either way, and this is why we belong to a guild isn't it?
Thanks

Rick Eyre 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick. When you enter juried shows, especially museums. you may want to use a white or off white mat. You can still choose a warm white or cool white to complement the work. Many shows prefer them as it gives the exhibit of diverse styles and palates a more unified look.

When you show in other situations it's your call. Actually it's always your call, but can cost you getting in if the show is highly competitive. I would always stay away from computer generated mats as they cheapen the work. (Feel safe saying this as I don't know if you do that or not.) Hope that's helpful. Ann Waisbrot

Ms. Mamma said...

That's too bad. I have really grown to love white matts with a cool black frame. It is minimalistic and definitely lets the image speak for itself. But I do love black matts as well. Not much help, I know.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rick.

I feel your pain! I was also denied at the Riverfront and felt the same way, but what I think is helpful is going to some of these shows to see what the "flavor" of the show is. It might not be helpful this year but for the next year, maybe. I was not chosen for the spring show and while my subject matter was "spot on", my colors were not because they were more fall colors than spring colors and after I got over my surprise I realized it would not work well with the show.
I also don't always care what people think! I like color - period! So I'm sorry if I wasn't any help
ChandraLyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick,
I agree with Ann (Waisbrot) that some museums and similar venues do like to have a more unified look to their shows, with matting and framing to blend, rather than contrast.
My feeling is in some competitions they want a more level playing field, and not the distraction of different mattings and frames. One competition I looked at entering required white mats of a specific size and no frames.
Sometimes I think we have to decide what we like versus what is going to sell in the marketplace or win in a competition...and gear our work accordingly.
Hope this helps as I have somewhat limited experience.
Janelle