Saturday, August 15, 2009

News from Betsy Popp!


Currently I am on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I was asked to come back (I was there Artist in Residence in June of 08) to restore an historical sign within the park.
Most all of the signs have been replaced with smaller, photo images of whatever the sign is describing. This particular sign is the oldest of its kind left in the park. It is a 2 sided 4' x 8' sign that was hand painted and lettered back possibly in the late 60's maybe early 70's - the dates are not for sure as they are still tryiing to find out more information on the sign. I have taken a inventory of the supplies needed to restore the sign and as of yet are still waiting for said supplies. In the mean time I am taking advantage of the beautiful scenery and hiking possibilities that this area has to offer. This past Tuesday I hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim - about 23.5 miles and an elevation change of 8250 to 2400 at the Colorado River and then back up to 6860 feet. Got some great images to work from.

-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: